H & H Restaurant is a soul food restaurant located in downtown Macon, GA that serves up southern comfort food at its finest! An assortment of meats including roast beef, fried chicken, smothered chicken, fried pork chops, stew beef, baked ham, Bar-B-Q Ribs, and fried fish are on the menu. Inez Hill, also known as “Mama Hill” or “Mama Louise” started the business in 1959 and owns the restaurant today along with her goddaughter and cousin Louise Hudson. Today, H & H is a Macon attraction made famous by The Allman Brothers Band. The Molly Hatchet Band and the Wet Willie Band were also regulars. Oprah Winfrey came to Macon in November of 2007 to record an episode of her television Show Oprah’s Favorite Things. While in Macon, she stopped by H&H and met Mama Louise and Mama Inez.
Inez “Mama” Hill passed away at 12:30 a.m. on December 18, 2007. She lived to be the mother of seven, a grandmother of sixteen, a great-grandmother, and a great-great-grandmother.
- “Fried chicken that’s worth the drive ” - yahoo.com
- “And of course the food is fantastic” - urbanspoon.com
- “They are ridiculously delicious” - urbanspoon.com
- ” Food was fantastic and the menu was amusing” -yahoo.com
- “Thanks for the wonderful time while we were there in 2003. ” - yahoo.com
- “Southern soul food at its best ” - insiderpages.com
- “Okra and tomato ” - urbanspoon.com
- Allman Brothers, and others, love Mama Louise and her cooking – Mary Bergin, Wisconsin Culinary Travel Examiner
- “Let me talk about more indigenous foods. In Macon, Georgia, which is closer to me, there is a wonderful soul food restaurant called The H and H. It’s an institution in Macon and the woman who runs it, Louise, we affectionately call Mama Louise. – Chuck Leavell, Epicurean Musician
- Food for the soul – Jessica Walden, macon.com
- H&H serves up soul with its soul food – Lauren Vaught, macon.com