The Old Governor’s Mansion, built in 1839, is one of the most notable examples of High Greek Revival architecture in Georgia and the nation. Its dignified architecture and stately columns were part of the design by Charles Clusky, the architect. It was built by Timothy Porter who was from Farmington, CT.
For over thirty years, the Mansion served as the residence for Georgia’s chief executives. Some of the state leaders that resided in the Mansion includes George Crawford, Howell Cobb, and Joseph E. Brown. They used it as a stage for speeches and also to introduce very important guests. The Mansion was claimed as a “prize” during the Civil War in the “March to the Sea,” when General William T. Sherman headquartered in the building on November 22, 1864.
After the war, Georgia’s seat of government was relocated to Atlanta, and the Mansion was abandoned. The Mansion was given to Georgia Normal & Industrial College (currently known as Georgia College & State University) in 1889. The Old Governor’s Mansion served as the founding building of the institution and is the campus’s most treasured structure.