Rising 200 feet into the air, the twin cross-topped spires of St. Joseph’s Catholic Church add great beauty to the skyline of downtown Macon.

This lovely old Romanesque, Neo-Gothic church was the realization of an earlier dream of 50 Catholic parishioners and their first priest, Father James Graham. In 1841, this small group of Catholics had bought a Presbyterian church and started the first catholic parish in Macon, a town incorporated as a city only seventeen years earlier.

Support the Historic Macon Foundation

Street View